As you may or may not know, Software Center, Windows Updates, Remote Support, and Domain Group Policy updates are NOT available when you take a computer home. This means that you cannot install anything from the Software Center and we cannot make changes to your machine or keep your machine up to date when the machine is away from school.
As of April 13th 2020, this has changed. Our laptops will now be able to achieve all of the above while they are away from our schools. To take advantage of this you will have to take the laptop back to school and follow the steps listed below.
- Return to a school and connect to the school’s Wi-Fi.
- Sign in to the computer with your name and password.
- Restart the computer (Logoff will not work, you MUST CLICK RESTART).
- After restarting, connect to Wi-Fi again BEFORE you sign in.
- After you sign in, click on the Start button and type GPUPDATE in the box and press enter. You should see a black box pop up and say updating policy. This box should stay on the screen for a few minutes. When this is finished you should be good to go. If you do not see a black box or one flashes and goes away then you typed something incorrectly.
- When you return home you MUST RESTART your computer again for this new feature to start working.
- If Software Center is empty or only showing a few items then leave your computer turned on and connected to Wi-Fi for at least 8 hours. Software Center only pulls information every 8 hours or so and must be turned on and connected to the internet to do so.
- If you have done the above steps and are still having issues please call the help desk number listed on the county website.