Unable to remove the Component Server Site System Role
As I am new to SCCM, I have been testing out different parts of it and I came across an issue where I was trying to remove a DP (Distribution Point) from a server. I loaded the console and went to Administration / Overview / Site Configuration / Servers and Site System Roles
From there I right clicked on the server that had the DP I wanted to remove and selected Delete from the menu.
Once I clicked delete I was presented with a Delete Server dialog box stating…
The server “\\myservername” cannot be deleted because it contains the following site system roles: Component server
The component server role supports other site system roles and is created automatically by Configuration Manager. Although there might be a delay, this role is automatically removed after you remove other site system roles on this server.
I tried right clicking on the Component server role under Site System Roles but the Remove Role option was grayed out so I couldn’t remove the Component Server Site System Role.
From what I have read, the Component Server role only gets installed on a server when a Site System role is installed with the exception of a DP. In my testing I don’t remember installing a role other than a Distribution Point on this machine so it shouldn’t have had the Component server role installed. I guess that I must have installed another role other than the Distribution Point and removed it but the Component server role didn’t get removed.
The way I found to fix this is listed below.
- Go to Administration / Site Configuration / Servers and Site System Roles / Click on your server to highlight it / Right click Site system under Site system Roles and select Properties from the menu.
- You will need to make a change to one of the settings on the Site system properties screen. Since your choices are limited I would suggest that you check the Require the site server to initiate connections to this site system then click OK.
- Wait 10 – 20 minutes. Yeah SCCM is slow about doing some things.
- Right click your server and choose refresh. Hopefully now the Component server role should no longer show up.
- You can now delete the server DP role.